Zen Cart FTP Connection
While developing and maintaining Zen Cart catalog you won’t do without neat Zen Cart images handling. Product pictures are inalienable elements of remarkable web store and should be arranged on sublime level to create informative and appealing product pages.
This very fact demands Zen Cart users to constantly operate with Zen Cart images - physically add images to items that are already appended to Zen Cart catalog, upload pictures via Store Manager import wizard utility together with products or alone, change product pictures, etc.
Zen Cart foresees adding images of three types:
- Small (Thumbnail) - shown on home page and product listing pages
- Medium - displayed on individual product pages
- Large - image that appears by clicking “Large image” link on product info page
Any operation related to Zen Cart images requires from you to set up FTP connection. Once you are not connected to FTP, you won’t succeed in viewing product pictures or their uploading to the server.
Store Manager for Zen Cart application allows you to specify FTP settings in the corresponding tab, that can be opened via main menu button or pressing F12. Choose FTP tab from the list.
Tab being opened, you will derive the list of main FTP server settings to indicate. Firstly, you need to check radio button to select the method to implement FTP.
The followings settings you need to indicate in the fields below:
- Server address - in this field you are about to define server IP address or domain name, using no prefixes or suffixes
- Port number - commonly this field should include 21, nevertheless it may vary depending on server settings
- User name (login)/Password - indicate username and password for authentication. On condition that you do not know access details, you may get them from Hosting Company or create FTP user with access details yourself via hosting control panel.
- Timeout - time, the application will try to connect to FTP. The connection is not being established during this time, there will be timeout.
Below you should specify FTP directories settings, namely:
- Store root directory - specify the name of Zen Cart store root directory
- Images directory - default directory, Zen Cart images are disposed in
- Downloads directory - default directory, downloadable products are being placed to
For better management, you can create different folders on your server:
- Product images subdirectory - specify subdirectory, that will incorporate Zen Cart product images
- Category images subdirectory - indicate folder, categories pictures will be stored in
- Manufacturer images subdirectory - define subfolder, Zen Cart manufacturers images will be added to
- Media files subdirectory - subdirectory that will incorporate media files
In “Additional” section you have to indicate:
- Max FTP threads - indicate the number of threads possible
- Cache images - check the box to cache Zen Cart images
Having specified FTP settings, press “Test Connection” button to check whether you have done it in a proper way. Once you are connected to FTP you can upload images to Zen Cart catalog. If you are uploading multiple images to Zen Cart they fall to FTP task queue, as they are being appended by turns. You can view images queue in corresponding section of Store Manager application - FTP Tasks Queue.
FTP connection is also obligatory when you need to check the store with Store Diagnostics functionality. By means of Store Diagnostics you can reveal unspecified images or missing Zen Cart images.
To find details on Zen Cart image upload read the article - http://www.zencart-manager.com/useful-articles/product-management/upload-images-with-store-manager-for-zen-cart/